Friday 2 October 2009

Clockwork Orange, Worth Watching?

http://fleshisgrass.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/eyes.gif

Since I have only watched half this film I can only comment on the half I have watched. I have heard people harping on about this film for years and one day off from work I decided to watch it; despite it being half 11 in the morning. I'm not sure why but I never really want to watch a horror/sick film in the morning they are more evening/night films!


I had previously read up about the film and the story is actually quite interesting and the in theory I do believe something like the techinques used in Clockwork Orange could work, but obviously as the story tells they do not!

Unfortunately this film lacks something and I think its mainly due to this generation X we talk about, The British Board of Film Censors (BBFC) originally released the film uncut with an X rating, but later received many complaints that "the film would damage society by inspiring teenagers to violence." Throughout 1973/74 police linked cases of teenage violence to "Clockwork Orange."

In response Kubrick had the film withdrawn from the country even though it had already been running for 61 weeks. This was not due to BBFC, it was because Kubrick and his family had been recieving death threats. It was not until 1999, the year of Kubrick's death that the film was legally permitted to be shown in Britain again.

Despite all this I do not find this film all that horrendous in terms of types of horror and gore we see in films now-a-days, Clockwork Orange doesn't come very high. Although I do see the horrific side of it, It didn't shock me as much as it may have shocked my mum 30 years ago at my age!

A film would have to go so far over the line these days to be banned,  I don't know if I would want to see a film that had to be officially banned in noughties!

Other films I didn't find that horrific or scary that were also banned in Britain: Texas Chainsaw Masscre, The Exorcist (also nominated for 10 Oscars, won 2) and The Last House on the Left which I have heard is bad but not all THAT bad.

This surely is why advertising these days misses certain target markets, as we cannot offend the other generations. Generation X are not affected or upset by most things which is why sometimes the very hard-hitting advertising is most effective when it is not banned, e.g. Road Safety Advertising.

A Japanese film Grotesque had been banned in 2009 due to a high level of sexual torture. This is one of this first films to be banned since 1989. So it must be bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment