Sunday 5 July 2009

Expletive Deleted

The first time I read this was in college, when we discussed swearing. While out teacher started to read this report out loud, the whole class couldn't help but smirk everytime the 'f-word' was said, but now looking back and reading this again that is the whole point!

First of all, read this Guardian investigation into the acceptability of swearing in modern day culture and you can't help but agree.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/nov/21/britishidentity.features11

I do completely agree with Jonathon, certain swear words have lost all shock value and I for one can't talk as I use most swear words several times a day, even if there is no need to use them! I can't even explain why, although saying we use the word "fuck" as a reinforcing adverb answers quite a lot.

Contradicting myself, as a person who does swear usually unnecessarily, I still find myself shocked when watching the likes of Coronation Street and Eastenders and before the watershed and hearing words such as 'bitch' and 'slag.' Maybe if swearing wasn't so accepted on television and radio we wouldn't swear quite so openly and often? Recently the BBC has made the watershed for there main channel BBC1 10pm, with the only swearing before 10pm and after 9pm happening for exceptional circumstances, but they have not stated what counts as 'exceptional'?

The other swearing that usually happens which also makes me cringe, is whilst out shopping when music is playing and you know exactly when the swear word will come in a song and if its not censored out, I can't help but cringe looking around to see if anyone actually heard. Lily Allen's: The Fear I've heard quite a few times whilst out shopping and there actually is a censored version which make is worse when you hear the swearing in the original version!

Despite slagging off swearing, I actually find the views of Nick Lohr quite true, fuck is an interesting word and very flexible expecially when you actually don't know what to say. Whether it should be used though is a very different question.

Although I could probably discuss this more and more, I may even add to this post I'm going to end on the last paragraph and ask: what does this even mean?

"I'd rather my children said fuck than toilet."

No comments:

Post a Comment